Friday, November 7, 2008

Favorite Children's Books/Ulubione Ksiazki dla Dzieci

November 5, 2008

 

Favorite Children's Books

 

Ever since I started reading books to my kids, listening to audio books with them, and finding more books for them to read, I have gotten hooked on enjoying children's books myself.  Often I read juvenile and young adult books by choice.

 

I have a couple of recent favorites that I would like to share.

 

1.  "Half Moon Investigations" by Eoin Colfer.  It was just as entertaining for me and Josh as it was for the kids.  And that's the true mark of the good children's book.  I recommend this for reading out loud to boys 8 and over or just get it on audio, and let the whole family enjoy the Irish accent as well.

 

2. "Good Masters!  Sweet Ladies!" by Laura Amy Schlitz.  This book is one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written.  I learned more about medieval life from this book then from any other source and I could not put it down.  I even cried.  I still think about the characters and their lives.  So does Josh.  My son Samuel loved this book as well.  I plan to buy this book.

 

When children fist start to enjoy reading it is a good idea to get them hooked on a series.  They want to keep reading about the same characters and in the same format.  I use 2 main websites that help me search for series of books.  One is the mid continent public library.  I got this site form my favorite Iowa librarian Betsy.  I go to this site just about every day: http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/series/juv/title.cfm?browse=A

 

When my kids enjoy a particular author who does not necessarily write series, I got to:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

and I search under the author's name. 

 

For those who are interested, here is a very incomplete list of juvenile series that my boys loved.  If your kids like the same kind of stuff, I can make more recommendations by email.  I am listing these by the name of the series.  In order to find these at your library you will need the specific book title.  You can find that by searching the website I mentioned earlier:

http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/series/juv/title.cfm?browse=A

 

The Juvenile List

 

Myth-o-Mania by Kate McMullen

Dragon Slayers' Academy by Kate McMullen

Five Ancestor by Jeff Stone

Animorphs by K.A. Applegate

Time Warp Trio by Jon Scieszka

The Zack Files by Dan Greenburg

Eoin Colfer's Legend of…  by Eoin Colfer

Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey

Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy by William Boniface

Shredderman by Wendelin Van Draanen

Bunnicula by James Howe

Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley

 

The Young Adult List

 

Bloody Jack Adventures by L.A. Meyer

Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix

Stravaganza by Mary Hoffman

Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

Artemis Foul by Eoin Colfer

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Children of the Lamp by Phillip Kerr

Children of the Red King by Jenny Nimmo


I've attached pictures from our trip to the zoo last Saturday.  It was fun day with perfect weather, pooping elephants, cute meerkats, and mating tortoises...


Sylwia

 

Ulubione Ksiazki Dzieci

 

6 Listopad 2008

 

Jak zaczelam czytac dzieciom ksiazki, sluchac z nimi ksiazek na kasetach, i szukac im wiecej ksiazek do czytania, to sama sie zainteresowalam ksiazkami dla dziedzi.  Teraz czesto czytam dziecinne ksiazki. 

 

Tu pare ksiazek ktore przeczytalam w ostatnim tygodniu co mi sie bardzo podobaly:

 

1.  Ksiazka "Fletcher Moon Prywatny Detektyw" napisana przez Eoin Colfer.  Bardzo fajna i smieszna ksiazka dla chlopcow powyzej 8 lat.  Moj maz i jak tak samo bylismy w tej ksiazce zainteresowani jak nasze dzieci. 

 

2. Ksiazka "Good Masters! Sweet Ladies" napisana przez Laura Amy Schlitz.  Ta ksiazka to dla mnie jedna z najlepszych ksiazek literatury dla dzieci.  Napisana jako sztuka do teatru na temat zycia w srednowieczu.  Caly wieczor czytalam i nawet plakalam.  Nadal ja  moj maz myslimy o zyciach tych ludzi.  Samuelowi tez ta ksiazka sie bardzo podobala. Mam zamiar kupic te ksiazke. 

 

Jak dzieci zaczynaja lubic same czytac ksiazki, to dobrze jest im znalesc serie ksiazek, bo dzieci lubia czytac o tych samych charakterach.  Aby znalesc tytuly serji po koleji, ja uzywam pare stron internetowych.  Moja ulubiona strona to jedna biblioteka ktora ma wszytkie serie dla dzieci spisane.  Tu link do tej strony:

http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/series/juv/title.cfm?browse=A

 

Jesli moje dzieci bardzo lubia jakiegos autora, to ide na inna strone internetowa.  Tam wpisuje nazwizko autora i srona pokazuje mi jego/jej wszytkie ksiazki.  Tu link do tej strony:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

 

A tu lista po angielsku ulubionych serji moich dzieci.  Niestety  nie wiem jak poprawnie przetlumaczyc tytuly tych ksiazek.  Jesli ktos z was zna jakas strone co tlumaczy tytuly ksiazek z angielskiego na polski, to bym tym bardzo byla zainteresowana. 

 

Ulubione serje syna co ma 8 lat

 

Myth-o-Mania by Kate McMullen

Dragon Slayers' Academy by Kate McMullen

Five Ancestor by Jeff Stone

Animorphs by K.A. Applegate

Time Warp Trio by Jon Scieszka

The Zack Files by Dan Greenburg

Eoin Colfer's Legend of…  by Eoin Colfer

Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey

Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy by William Boniface

Shredderman by Wendelin Van Draanen

Bunnicula by James Howe

Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley

 

Ulubione serje syna co ma prawie 10 lat

 

Bloody Jack Adventures by L.A. Meyer

Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix

Stravaganza by Mary Hoffman

Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

Artemis Foul by Eoin Colfer

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Children of the Lamp by Phillip Kerr

Children of the Red King by Jenny Nimmo


Zalanczam zdjecia z zoo z ostatniej soboty.  Byla piekna pogoda, slonie sie zalatwialy, syrykatki byly sliczne, a zlowie sie laczyly w pary...


Sylwia


1 comment:

Becky said...

I loved this post. I too LOVE to read childrens or YA fiction. We have also enjoyed some of the same books, like the Baritmaeus trilogy, Artemis Fowl, and more. We are currently reading the key's to the kingdom (we are on Drowned Wednesday) and are thoroughly enjoying them. Jon and I like to read outloud to each other- it is one of our favorite ways to spend quality time with each other. We gained this habit when we were newlyweds. We didn't own a TV for the first 2 years we were married, so became really good at reading together for entertainment. I am grateful for this list- because I am always looking for recommendations on other series to read. Have you ever been on the website www.goodreads.com? You can keep track of all the books you have read, write reviews and see what your friends are or have read. If you decide to do it- or you already are- let me know so I can link to you!