Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Medical Conditions/Kondycje Medyczne

Medical Conditions

May 19, 2009

 

I've received several emails asking about how my pregnancy is going.  I thought I'd answer in a group email, because talking about my medical conditions over and over makes me feel like an old person.  In a way I understand why old people talk about their medical problems so much.  Being unhealthy consumes so much of one's life; it's hard not to talk about it when asked "how are you?"

 

I'm in my second pregnancy trimester, about 6 months along.  My blood pressure is normal; I don't have to take any medication for it anymore.  Pregnancy induced hypertension usually gets better in the second trimester, and acts back up in the third trimester.  I'm grateful that for now I'm doing well.  I'm also not nauseated anymore. 

 

I do however have another condition called Pregnancy Cholestasis.  It's very rare; only 1 woman in 1000 gets it.  I had it at the end of my last pregnancy with Grace.  "Lucky" for me, I got it earlier this time.   It has something to do with the pregnancy hormones disrupting liver function and therefore causing severe itching all over the body 24/7.  It gets especially bad a night, so I can't sleep.  I itch and scratch all night.  No, antihistamines don't help.  The sleep deprivation is almost causing me to lose my mind.  Josh told me that people who are tortured with sleep deprivation do lose their minds.  I still have three months to go, so don't be surprised if I'm not the same anymore after this ordeal.

Speaking of medical conditions, I always enjoy when Josh tells me morbidly funny stories from the hospital.    Recently he told me about a guy who came in for gastric bypass.  The surgery went well, but on the day the guy left the hospital, he decided to go to an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet with his family to celebrate.  Apparently he stuffed himself full and exploded on the inside.  His stitches were still fresh and gave way and he died in the ICU a few days later.   Samuel thinks that this guy definitely deserves a Darwin Award.  He just read and enjoyed a book about the Darwin Awards.

 

I'm attaching some fun pictures from the Armed Forces Day here in Augusta.  It's a festival to celebrate the military.  All the entertainment and activities are free.  We enjoyed hanging out with our friends the Bastians.  The kids enjoyed watching fireworks, watching parachuting and playing in the parachuting field, climbing into tanks, handling real machine guns, and even some fun stick-to-stick combat.  Isaiah was evenly matched with his friend Kayden, but poor Nephi got totally clobbered by a slightly older kid.  He was knocked off his feet over and over and when the battle ended, Nephi was crying.  As he came to sit and cry on my lap, he proclaimed through his tears, "I totally beat him!"  It was so funny, Josh and I are still laughing about it.  (Not about the fact that he got creamed, but that he so absolutely proclaimed victory several times.)

Sylwia

 

Kondycje Medyczne

19 Maj 2009

 

Czesto dostaje pytanie przez email ja mi moja ciaza leci.  Zdecydowalam odpowiedziec przez wspolny email, bo jesli w kolo pisze  o moich medycznych kondycjach, to czuje sie jak bym bylam starych czlowiekiem co caly czas narzeka na swoje choroby.  Ale ja rozumien dlaczego starszy ludzie tak w kolo o swoich chorobach mowia.  Jak chlowiek straci zdrowie, to wiekszosc jego zycia jest zejetym leczeniem sie.  Wiec trudno o tym nie rozmawiac, jak ktos sie pyta "jak sie masz".

 

Ja jestem w drugiej czesci mojej ciazy, okolo 6 miesiecy.  Juz moje cisnienie sie poprawilo.  Nie musze brac zadnych lekarstw.  Tak to jest z wysokim cisnieniem w ciazy.  Najgorzej jest na poczatku i na koncu ciazy, ale w srodku jest dobrze.  Tez juz mi sie wymiotowac nie chce, i za to jestem bardzo wdzieczna. 

 

Ale ja niestety mam jeszcze inna kondycje, ktora tez mialam jak bylam w ciazy z moja coreczka Grace.  To jest bardzo rzadka kondycja.  Tylko jedna kobiety z tysiaca ja dostaje.  Choroba nazywa sie Cholestasis Ciazy i ma doczynienie z hormonami ciazy ktore zle wplywaja na watrobe.  Przez to cale dnie i noce cala skora kobiety swedzi.  Nie ma na to zadnych lekarstw. Cale dnie ja mysle ze zwarjuje od swedzenia. Jest nawet gorzej w nocy i nie moge wcale spac.  Moj maz mi mowi ze jak ludzie sa torturowani brakiem spania, to warjuja.  Ja tez chyba z przemeczenia zwarjuje.  Choc jestem strasznie zmeczona jest mi nie mozliwe spac przez wiecej niz kilka minut.  Mam jeszcze trzy miesiace ciazy, wiec nie dziwcie sie jesli naprawde zwarjuje. 

 

Jak juz pisze o medycznych kondycjach, to napisze o jednym wypadku co mi maz opowiadal.  Ja bardzo lubie jak mi maz opowiada  tragicznie  smieszne przypadki ze szpitala.  Niedawno jakis gruby czlowiek mial operacje zmiekszania brzucha.  Tu w Ameryce bardzo duzo ludzi ma te operacje aby schudnac.  Bardzo szybko najczesciej chudna, bo ich nowy brzuch jest taki maly, ze nie mozna wiecej niz jedna lyzke na raz zjesc.  Operacja tego czlowieka bardzo dobrze poszla, ale on nie byl za madry.  Odrazu jak wyszedl ze szpitlala, to poszedl ze swoja rodzina do restauracji w ktorej mozna jesc ile sie chce.  Jadl szybko i bardzo duzo, choc mu lekarze na to nie pozwolili.  Szwy w jego brzuchu byly jeszcze swierze i brzuch mu wybuchl w ciele.  Kilka dni pozniej umarl w szpitalu.   

 

Tu w Ameryce sa takie ksiazki ktore sie nazywaja "Nagrody Darwina".  Jesli czlowiek przez to ze jest taki nie madry i w przypadek sie sam zabije, to dostaje Nagrode Darwina, bo usuna swoje geny z ludzkiej rasy.  Samuel niedawno te ksiazke przeczytal i stwierdzil ze ten gruby pan, co sie objadal odrazu po operacju zmiekszanai brzucha, zaslurzyl na taka nagrode. 

 

Przesylam kilka zdjec z Festiwalu Wojska w miescie Augusta.  Co roku miasto ma darmowe wojskowe rozrywki dla calej rodziny.  Bylismy na festiwalu razem ze znajomymi.  Dzieci chetnie ogladaly zimnie ognie, spadachrony, bawily sie na spadarchronowym polu, wchodzily do czolgow, trzymaly prawdziwe karabiny, i nawet "walczyli" dla zabawy.  Isaiah walczyl z kolega Kadyn ktory mniej wiecej byl taki sam silny jak on.  Ale biedny Nefi mial troche silniejszego oponenta.  Nefi kilka razy upad, i wczasie i po walce on plakal.  Ale co nas rozsmieszylo po walce, bylo to ze Nefi przez lzy nam powiedzial "Ja zupelnie wygralem!"

Sylwia

 

2 comments:

Pinky Homer said...

I'm sorry about your pregnancy troubles. That really does sound like torture. I hope you at least get some cat naps in between all the itching to at least keep your sanity. I've notice that for me the older, I get the harder the pregnancies are on my body and the older I feel. But once it's over it's like I gained about 10 years back!!! :)

Bastianclan said...

Awee Sylwia this darn itching. I wish I could take it away so you can sleep. One things for sure. You only have 3 more months. Just think you have already done 6. SEE!!! How great is that?

We loved hanging with your family at the Armed Force Day. What a fun family you have.